The State Government approved the construction of Chichester Dam.
Land for the water supply scheme was appropriated in the Gazette of October 6, 1916.
To safeguard the purity of the water the populated part of the Wangat Valley, including the old goldmining town of Wangat, and the greater portion of the populated part of the Chichester Valley were resumed.
A works village was established by the Department of Public Works to accommodate men employed on the construction of the dam and their families.
Learn more about Chichester Dam.