Vacuum sewer systems

We operate vacuum sewerage systems located in:

  • Dora Creek - Lake Macquarie City Council area
  • Sandgate (small system) - Newcastle City Council area

Only our employees or persons authorised by us are allowed access to the vacuum sewage collection chamber. The vacuum sewage collection chamber may be located within, or external of, the property boundary.

What you need to know

If the property owner, builder or managing agent is to make the application to connect, it is your responsibility to ensure all applications have been submitted and inspections booked prior to any physical water connection works.


Connecting to a vacuum sewer system

Follow our three step process to connect a vacuum sewer system:

Installation requirements

The connected sanitary drainage installation is to meet the requirements of AS/NZS3500.2 Plumbing and Drainage. Note: Swimming pool water, filter backwash or garbage disposal units shall not discharge to a vacuum system without prior written approval from us.

Disconnecting from a vacuum sewer system

Where a property’s sewer service has become redundant, or is not to be redeveloped and becomes disused in a vacuum sewer system area, it can be disconnected from our sewer system. Disused sewer services are to be sealed off at the point of connection using approved materials in the accordance with AS/NZS3500.2 Plumbing and Drainage and our requirements.

What you need to know

You may disconnect a customer from our services if they have complied with all applicable health, environmental and local council regulatory requirements and you have submitted an applications and booked inspection dates.

Follow our three step process to disconnect a vacuum sewer system:

Sewer soffit requirements

The soffit is the highest point of the internal surface of a pipe. There are minimum measurements between the soffit of the sewer main and the spill level of the overflow relief gully (ORG).

Thirsty for more advice?

If you need more advice on vacuum sewer systems, get your questions answered by contacting our Technical Services team.