Subdividing land

If you are planning on subdividing land you will be required to lodge a development application to obtain a Section 50 compliance certificate.

We need to ensure that the infrastructure is appropriately sized to service all the lots within the subdivision and that each of the newly created lots is serviced. This may involve extending or upsizing existing mains, or providing new services to new lots.

There are various types of subdivisions and each have different requirements, see the description below on the various types of subdivision and what we may require.

Types of Subdivisions

Type Description
Torrens title Torrens title subdivision is the most typical type of subdivision. It is when land is divided into single lots which are each individually owned by the land owner. Each newly created Torrens title lot will be provided with separate water and sewer services.
Strata title Strata title subdivision is individual ownership of part of a lot – generally a unit, apartment or office – with the remaining portions of the lot being Common Property. Strata Title lots share water and sewer services.
Community title Community title subdivision is similar to Strata subdivision however water and sewer services can be either shared amongst the development with a single point of connection or each community title lot can be provided with its own sewer and water connections.
Stratum title Stratum subdivisions are typically subdivisions on multilevel developments. An example would be ground floor commercial space being one stratum lot and two residential floors above being another stratum lot. Each Stratum lot requires its own point of connection to sewer and water.
Boundary adjustment A boundary adjustment or boundary realignment is when boundaries are changed between two or more lots of land without creating a new lot. In this instance water and sewer services may need to be adjusted to ensure that each lot has its own water and sewer service located within the new lot boundary.
Lot consolidation Lot consolidation or amalgamation is when multiple existing lots are combined to create fewer "new" lots. Water and sewer services may need to be adjusted to ensure that the newly created lots each have a water and sewer service located within their lot boundary.

How do I lodge an application?

Follow these simple steps if you are subdividing land

  1. Get your plans stamped by us
    For any land subdivision your plans must be stamped by us before they are submitted to the council.
  2. Lodge a Development Assessment Application

    We will need to assess your proposed plans in order to determine what your specific requirements will be. In order to complete this assessment, you will need to provide us with a full set of plans (this includes the subdivision plan clearly showing the lot boundaries and type of subdivision, and any proposed development site plans or landscaping plans you may have). Each subdivision is different and may require different conditions (see subdivision descriptions below). Our Development Services team will investigate.

  3. You will receive a Requirements letter
    Once we have assessed your subdivision, we will provide you (or your building company acting on your behalf) with a requirements letter detailing what you may need to do in order to obtain your Section 50 compliance certificate from us. Learn more about what a Section 50 certificate is.

  4. You will receive a Section 50 certificate
    Once you have satisfied all our requirements, we will issue you with a compliance certificate (Section 50 certificate) which means you will be able to connect your new lots.

What is a Section 50 compliance certificate?

Watch our video to find out what a Section 50 certificate is, what types of developments require a Section 50 certificate and the different types of works involved.

Are you planning a large scale subdivision, development, redevelopment project or land rezoning?

Our Development Planning and Relations team can support you through this process.