tomago-sandbeds-3 tomago-sandbeds-1 tomago-sandbeds-2 tomago-number-1-pumping-station
1936

Tomago Sandbeds Provide Drinking Water

The Tomago Sandbeds contain fresh water in underground pockets of sand and gravel, and extend roughly from the northern shore of the estuary of the Hunter River to the southern shore of Port Stephens and Stockton Bight on the Pacific Ocean.

Investigations into accessing water from Tomago, which means 'sweet water' in local Worimi language, had been ongoing since the turn of the century. It was in 1936 the Tomago Sandbeds Water Supply Scheme was brought into use as the only legitimate backup to Chichester Dam, with the completion of the first and second primary pumping stations. A 500mm Tomago trunk main, almost 11 kilometres, was laid from the No. 1 Pumping Station to Shortland where it joined the Chichester Trunk Gravitation Main. The two pumping stations were producing an average of 7.6 million litres of water per day at Tomago by early 1939.

Learn more about Tomago Sandbeds.