burwood-beach burwood-beach-2 burwood-beach-ocean-outfall
1936

Burwood Beach Wastewater Treatment Works Completed

The Newcastle Sewerage Amplification Scheme commenced in 1929 however progress on the scheme was delayed by a scarcity of funds and a decision to modify the plans. The screening of sewage to separate solids from liquids, instead of the full treatment of sewage, was investigated and approved by the Public Works Department.

In 1936 the new outfall works were successfully tested. Sewage would be screened and then discharged into the breakers via a 20 metre pipeline.

The Board approved the name Burwood Beach for the treatment site, deriving the name from the Burwood Estate, the original name for Merewether.
 

View more information about Burwood Beach Wastewater Treatment Plant.