Building units and townhouses

If you are planning on building multiple units or townhouses you will be required to lodge a development application to obtain a Section 50 certificate.

We will need to make sure that the infrastructure is appropriately sized in order to service your development, and this may involve works in order to upsize the mains, meter or service.

How do I lodge an application?

Follow these simple steps if you are building units and townhouses

  1. Get your plans stamped by us
    For any unit or townhouse development your plans must be stamped by us before they are submitted to the council.

  2. Lodge a Development Assessment application

    We will need to assess your proposed plans in order to determine what your specific requirements will be. In order to complete this assessment, you will need to provide us with a full set of plans (this includes site, floor and elevation plans, as well as any landscaping or driveway plans you may have). Each proposed building or development is different and may require different conditions, our Development Services team will investigate.

  3. You will receive a Requirements letter
    Once we have assessed your development, we will provide you (or your building company acting on your behalf) with a requirements letter detailing what you may need to do in order to obtain your Section 50 certificate from us. Learn more about what a Section 50 certificate is.

  4. You will receive a Section 50 certificate
    Once you have satisfied all our requirements, we will issue you with a compliance certificate (Section 50 certificate) which means you will be able to connect your new units or townhouse development.

What is a Section 50 compliance certificate?

Watch our video to find out what a Section 50 certificate is, what types of developments require a Section 50 certificate and the different types of works involved.