Adding a second dwelling, granny flat or duplex

If you are building a secondary dwelling or granny flat, Council or your private certifier may require you to meet our conditions and lodge a development application to obtain a Section 50 compliance certificate. You should check with your local Council about their specific requirements.

How do I lodge an application?

Follow these simple steps if you are building a granny flat or secondary dwelling

  1. Get your plans stamped by us

    For any granny flat or secondary dwelling building your plans must be stamped by us before they are submitted to the council.
  2. Lodge a Development Assessment Application

    We may need to assess your proposed plans in order to determine what your specific requirements will be. This is how we ensure that your granny flat or secondary dwelling will not impact any of our assets. In order to complete this assessment, you will need to provide us with a full set of plans (this includes site, floor and elevation plans, as well as any landscaping or driveway plans you may have). Each proposed building or development is different and may require different conditions. These could be as simple as providing us with proof of your consent from council or it could mean that minor works are required to service your new dwelling. Our Development Services team will investigate.
  3. You will receive a Requirements letter

    Once we have assessed your granny flat/secondary dwelling, we will provide you (or your building company acting on your behalf) with a requirements letter detailing what you may need to do in order to obtain your Section 50 certificate from us. Learn more about these requirements and what a Section 50 certificate is.
  4. You will receive a Section 50 certificate

    Once you have satisfied all of the requirements, we will issue you with a compliance certificate (Section 50 certificate) which means you will be able to connect your new granny flat or secondary dwelling.