There's nothing quite like the shine of a freshly cleaned car. But while enjoying that spotless glow, it's important to make sure it's not at the expense of excessive water use. Here are some water saving tips for washing your car at home:
- Use a waterless car wash.
- Use a low flow/high pressure wash.
- Wash the car on the lawn using biodegradable cleaning chemicals. They give your grass a good watering in addition to cleaning your car.
- Wash with greywater from your bath/shower.
- Use a bucket or a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle.
These same water saving tips can be applied to bikes, boats, caravans and many other aspects of outdoor washing.
Alternatively, you could visit a commercial car wash instead. Generally, commercial car washes must meet certain requirements regarding water use and wastewater disposal, and as such makes them a much more environmentally sustainable option than washing your car at home.