Customer refunds

Life's busy and sometimes we forget we've paid a bill and pay it twice or make a payment to the wrong account. When this happens, we're here to help you get your money refunded.

Here's what to do

  1. Consider if the amount you want refunded can simply be put towards your next bill, or transferred to another Hunter Water account if you have more than one.
  2. If you are requesting a refund on your account or refund for a payment to the wrong account, you can submit online or contact us.
  3. If you are eligible for a refund, it can be issued to your bank account via direct deposit. Refunds cannot be processed against a credit card.
  4. Allow up to 10 days for the refund to appear.

Are you selling your property?

If you are in the process of selling your property, any credit amount on your Hunter Water account will be paid back to you through your settlement adjustment. Due to this process, we are unable to give you a refund during this time. If you have any questions about the settlement adjustment process, please contact your conveyancer.

Not the property owner?

If you are not the property owner, you need to submit your request in writing. Please call or email us and we’ll send you an email asking for some more details, including proof of payment.

Stormwater Drainage Charge Refund

During a recent review of our billing data, we learned that between 2006 and 2019 we had been incorrectly applying the Stormwater Drainage Charge to some properties in our network.

Environmental Improvement Charge Refund

If you owned a property within the Hunter Water network of operations between 1 July 2013 and 30 June 2018 which was not connected to our sewer services, your property may have been incorrectly charged an Environmental Improvement Levy Charge (EIC).