Water main cleaning
We are cleaning the water mains in parts of Wallsend, Hamilton and Medowie to deliver a lasting improvement to water quality in those areas.
Our contractor NO-DES will be completing the cleaning on our behalf in February and March 2024.
About the work
NO-DES uses a water-efficient technology with virtually no loss of water to clean our watermains. In the past, water mains were cleaned by “flushing” which resulted in water being lost to the environment. Because water is more precious than ever, we are using an innovative process to clean the water mains. The water will be pumped backwards through the mains to dislodge sediment, and then pumped through a truck which has an on-board filtration system. NO-DES is a more water conservative method to traditional methods of cleaning mains.
Our work schedule
Most of the work will be carried out between 6.30am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday. We are working to a schedule, however local factors may cause delays or work in your area to span multiple days.
Currently the schedule is:
- Wallsend - 12 to 16 February 2024
- Hamilton - 19 - 23 February 2024
- Medowie - 26 February to 8 March 2024
What to expect
Our team will clean different water mains each day and each property should only be affected for one day. On this day:
- there will be no interruption to your water supply
- you may notice lower than normal water pressure for a short time
- it‘s possible you may notice a period of ‘cloudy’ or discoloured water during and after we clean the water main.