newcastle streets 1900 water-restrictions-1906
1902

Water Restrictions Imposed for the First Time

In 1902 the Board faced great supply problems due to a severe drought. When the level of water in the Hunter River began to fall rapidly, the Board constructed a small temporary dam about 2 feet high in the Hunter River to check the depletion at the intake.  The Board's first water restrictions were imposed.

By the summer of 1905-6 scarcity of rain threatened the water supply.  In February 1906, the Hunter River ceased to flow at Oakhampton and the single delivery pipe between Walka and Newcastle failed to supply water as fast as it was being used.

Image: Bank Corner, St Mary's, Hunter St West, Newcastle, ca 1900. Image courtesy of the John Turner Collection and the University of Newcastle (Cultural Collections).