walka-water-works-2
1887

Walka Water Supply Scheme Extends to Maitland and Newcastle

Walka Waterworks was successfully tested and water was pumped to two summit reservoirs at Buttai and Rutherford.  The main high level storage reservoir was on Buttai Hill, 87 metres above high water spring tide in Newcastle Harbour.

From Buttai the water made its way by gravitation for considerable distances.  The Government imported top quality spigot and faucet cast-iron pipes from England and laid them underground, unlike most modern trunk pipelines.

The Hunter River water was filtered through sand at Walka Waterworks, providing Australia's first filtered reticulated water.

The Government constructed reservoirs at Newcastle, Lambton, Wallsend, East Maitland and Minmi.