The provision of both drinking water and recycled water to homes is known as dual reticulation. The recycled water taps, pipes and plumbing are coloured purple to make sure that recycled water is not confused with drinking water.
Current plans for dual reticulation schemes will service about 10,200 homes in Thornton North and Gillieston Heights using 1.2 billion litres of recycled water each year for:
- flushing toilets
- watering the garden
- washing cars and homes (external)
- washing outdoor furniture
- general fire fighting (subject to NSW Fire Brigades)
- washing clothes (optional)
- ornamental ponds/water features.
Please view our Recycled water for homes diagram.