The constitution of the first Board, Hunter District Water Supply and Sewerage Board, was approved by the Government in 1892
The Board consisted of five official members, one of whom was President (Hon. Alexander Brown), and four municipal members from Newcastle, East Maitland, West Maitland and Morpeth Councils, all serving four year terms.
The functions of the Board were to assume the control of water supply works constructed in the lower Hunter by the Government and municipal councils.
The first offices were located at Dangar's Chambers, Bolton Street Newcastle.